Vanilla Cupcakes with Coconut Rum and Raspberry Buttercream
This recipe is more about the icing than the cake. I wanted a way to make a simple vanilla cake more interesting and exciting. This buttercream has coconut favoured rum and freeze dried raspberries giving it a tropical, summery touch.
For a basic vanilla cupcake I use this recipe:
Vanilla Cupcake recipe
Buttercream– makes enough for 12 cupcakes
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 175g margarine
- 1-2 tbsp coconut rum (depending on how alcoholic you want it)
- 1/4 tsp coconut flavour
- 50g small, chopped freeze fried raspberries
- Pinch of sea salt
- Beat the margarine until soft and light
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time, after all the icing sugar has been added, taste and you might want it to be a bit sweeter.
- Beat in the rum and coconut flavour- again taste to see if it is coconutty enough for you.
- Stir in the raspberries.
- Ice your cakes!